Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. wants to ensure our Ft. Worth, TX customers are prepared for what may come, so we’ve created a basic overview of what to expect from an auto claim.
You’ll Need to Talk to the Insurer
- Call the insurance companies as soon as possible to file a claim. You may be able to file online or via the insurer’s app.
- Answer the phone when the insurer calls. The faster you complete the interview, the quicker they can approve your claim.
- Be honest. Resist the urge to spin the truth, processors use multiple methods of investigation, and it will delay the decision if they have conflicting accounts.
You’ll Need to Have an Inspection
- Follow the insurer’s inspection process.
- For simple accidents, they may provide an app that allows you to take necessary photographs for rapid claim approval.
- Do not take your car to your mechanic unless you know the insurer works with them. Insurers must pay out fair market value and typically work with vetted inspectors.
- If you are a claimant – you will pay nothing out of pocket and be able to pick up a rental while your car is being repaired.
- If you are the responsible party – your repairs will require a deductible owed when you go to pick up your car.
- Prior damage and mechanical wear & tear will not be covered. ‘Betterment’ applies to damaged tires, meaning you’ll only get a percentage of the replacement cost unless the tires are brand new.
There May Be Supplements
Once repairs start, the shop may find additional damages not visible on the surface. Don’t fret. They will send a supplemental invoice to the insurer, and as long as it’s reasonably related to the claim, the insurer will pay the shop directly.
Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. is here for our Ft. Worth, TX clients. Call us if you have any questions, and we’ll ensure you are prepared for what life brings.