Winter is full of friends, family, and festivities, but the extra cooking, decorating, and celebrating that occurs during the season can lead to more risks in the home. With the right tips, you can avoid having to file an insurance claim in Ft. Worth, TX.
- Decorate Carefully: Reduce the risk of fire by using non-flammable and flame retardant decorations. If you are using a fresh Christmas tree, keep the water levels in check, and if you are using an artificial tree, decorate with UL listed lights. Keep the tree away from any heat sources.
- Be Careful with Candles: December is the peak time for fires that are started by candles. Keep candles away from anything that can burn and be sure that candles are out of reach from children and animals. Be sure to extinguish candles before going to sleep and leaving the room.
- Prevent Theft: There are usually more break-ins during the holiday season. Lock doors and windows and keep blinds closed to prevent thieves from looking at new presents. If you get new valuables for the holidays, update your insurance policy with your agent at Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies, Inc.
- Protect Pipes: Poor insulation, drops in temperature, and keeping the thermostat too low can cause frozen pipes, so be sure to insulate pipes to prevent them from bursting.
- Host Responsible Parties: If you are serving alcohol at a holiday party, be sure you are covered from liability. Offer that guests stay the night or have a designated driver and ensure no one is driving after drinking.
- Test Smoke Detectors: Since the winter holidays create more fire hazards, make sure you are checking your fire safety prevention system.
- Be Careful in the Kitchen: With more cooking this time of year, fires are increased. Stay in the kitchen while food is cooking.
Contact Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies, Inc. serving Ft. Worth, TX, to get a quote on home insurance in Colorado and Texas.