What Types of Dwellings Does Home Insurance Cover?

At Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. in Ft. Worth, TX, we offer home insurance policies covering various homes. From large ranch-style houses to cozy cottages, our policies protect a range of houses. If your home has a different kind of dwelling on the premises, you might wonder if a home insurance policy could cover it. 

While policies differ, we can offer general guidelines on structures home insurance typically covers. Naturally, this advice isn’t exhaustive. If you have a unique type of housing, you will want to consult an insurance agent to determine whether a traditional home insurance policy would cover your home. Even if home insurance doesn’t cover your home, there may be a better-suited form of insurance that ensures that your home is protected despite falling outside of home insurance regulations.

What Kinds of Dwellings Do Home Insurance Policies Cover?

Home insurance policies tend to cover a house as long as it meets the policy’s definitions and requirements. On top of the house, the home insurance policy typically provides coverage for garages, verandas, chimneys, decks, and related attachments to the house. If you have a second dwelling on your property, such as a small trailer or guest house, your home insurance policy probably won’t cover that structure. There might be other policies that provide coverage for it, though. This is why it’s a good idea to consult with the qualified professionals at our office while you’re in the process of selecting a new home insurance policy.

To protect your home and related structures, call our office at Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. in Ft. Worth, TX today for more information.