Why Do I Need Protection Against Underinsured Drivers?

For some drivers on a budget in Ft. Worth, TX, it’s tempting to make their auto insurance premiums as inexpensive as possible. One way to do so is to decline coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists. Even though you may save money upfront, you could incur unexpected costs in the long run. Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. recommends not taking that risk.

What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Commonly called UM/UIM coverage covers your injuries and those of your passengers and damage to your vehicle if you are hit by an at-fault driver who has no auto insurance or doesn’t have enough to cover your expenses. This part of your auto insurance policy will pay for all your medical expenses and property damage caused by an uninsured driver. If the driver is underinsured, that individual’s policy will pay up to the covered amount, while your policy will pay the excess amounts up to your policy’s limits. If a motorist hits your vehicle, flees the accident scene, and can’t be found, you can file a claim against your policy’s uninsured motorist coverage.

Types of Coverage Your Policy Can Provide

Generally, you should have enough U/UIM coverage to replace your vehicle. This portion of your policy can pay for the following:

  • Vehicle repairs
  • Rental car, if needed
  • Medical bills for all passengers
  • Pain and suffering costs
  • Diminished car value following the accident

Our Agents Recommend UI/UIM Coverage

UI//UIM coverage is not required in Ft. Worth, TX. However, Main Street Independent Insurance Agencies Inc. must offer it to you when you write an auto insurance policy with us. Contact us today as our agents highly recommend the few extra dollars to protect your interests and not incur out-of-pocket expenses, especially when your medical insurance won’t pay everything.